Sunday, March 19, 2017

....

After we picked our genre, I decided to look at a couple of videos to help me understand how to create a high quality film opening. 

As I watched "The Art of the Opening Shot" on Youtube, I gathered some ideas on how to make incredible opening shots. Some shots presented in the video were from movies I was familiar with and some were from movies I'd never seen before. I noticed that all of the opening shots were visually appealing—a quality I'll strive for when creating a shot of my own. My attention was drawn to the beautiful shots, and I was curious to see more. 

After looking at this, I came up with a couple of cool opening scene ideas:
1 A low zoom across the floor of a dark room. As the camera continues, titles pop up in a “scary” font. 
2 A drone shot of the abandoned prison as an establishing shot (without titles). 
Another helpful video was "Great Cinematography with Only One Light!"  In this video, I was taught how to utilize a single light to create the perfect scene. Now, the video only demonstrated how to use the light in a interrogation scene, but I feel like I can apply the techniques to any scene. I found this video to be very helpful because I don't have access to much professional equipment, so I think it's good to learn how to make the best of the materials I have.. 

I plan on continuing my learning process as I try to make this opening scene as professional as it can be. There is still more to read and watch up on, but given all the knowledge I've learned in class, I am confident enough that I will create a good piece.


The Art of the Opening Shot [Video file]. (2015, July 6). Retrieved March 19, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1lMnbvf5eM


Great Cinematography with Only One Light! Prod. Ryan Connolly. Perf. Ryan Connolly. Youtube . Domain.com, 5 July 2012. Web. 19 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment